Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Could There Be a Better Song About Killing Children?


ждать......, originally uploaded by sergeyloie.
Right when it came out, I got the Decemberists' newest album "The Hazards of Love." The album is considered a is a rock opera, with all songs contributing to a unified narrative. I hadn't really listened to to it, I think I heard it once when I was in the shower or something. I went on a trip this weekend and my iPod was on shuffle and the Rake's Song came on. I started listening to the lyrics:

Charlotte I buried after feeding her foxglove
Dawn was easy, she was drowned in the bath
Eziah fought but was easily bested
Burned his body for incurring my wrath

As, your probably guessed from the blog title, the narrator of the song is describing how he killed his children. It's a gruesome topic, but I love this song! There is something charming about how the lyrics are written.

Check out this video for the Rake's Song made by students from St. Martins College of Art.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails