Thursday, July 16, 2009

Corporate Health Care


Wheel Chair, originally uploaded by NicP.

Everyone's been talking about universal health care lately. Critics claim that we have the finest health care in America. They believe that a universal health plan would be as unpleasant as post office or DMV.

My grandmother is currently in the hospital and I've had some time to reflect about corporate health care. To opponents who claim that the change would make patient care similar to the DMV, I have one question, "Have you ever visited an emergency room?" Our local corporately owned hospital bears a resemblance to Walmart if anything.

My mom and aunt have been staying at my grandmother's hospital room from around 7 am to 7 pm. The room is dirty and the nurses have forgot to give my grandma her medication and twice forgot to feed her. On their records for medication allergies, they had the medication they gave her in the emergency room the day before listed. My grandma broke some of the discs of her spine and is on pain medication that makes her confused and unable to ensure she is properly cared for.

If you think I'm exaggerating about the care at the hospital because this is my relative you are mistaken. My grandmother's roommate who also has a spinal injury only has brief visits from her family. She is left sitting in her bedside chair, with her TV off and out of reach, with a tray of food in front of her. She is left without silverware and is unable to open the food packaging or reach her call button. Luckily, my family is willing to help her also.

If this is the best health care in the world we all should be scared.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails